Thursday, October 16, 2008

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

I couldn't put this book down--I read for a whole day, much to the annoyance of my family. I discovered this book at my local library, where it is a nominee for the Beehive book Awards for Children's Literature, Association of Utah. The author beautifully blends the traditional fairy tales, such "Cinderella," "The Twelve Dancing Princesses," and "The Frog Prince," and fey folklore, into an intriguing story. There are probably elements of more fairy tales involved as well.

Set in Transylvania, five sisters sneak into the fairy world through a portal in their bedroom on the night of the full moon where they dance the night away, unknown to all around them. As they get older other forces, in their world and the fantasy world, threaten to disrupt their happy lives, and they must make choices and sacrifices that will affect all their lives.

This is Juliet Marilliers first novel for teens (I'm going to be reading her adult Sevenwaters Trilogy soon) and I look forward to reading the follow-up novel Cybele's Secret. Thumbs UP!!

No comments: